
It is always exciting at work when I get to take photos of something I have never seen before. Sometimes I am not told what I am taking a picture of so I have to figure out what it is.
At first we thought it was a hard contact lens on the eye.

But after lifting the lid up even more, realized it was attached to his eye.

It is actually silicone oil leaking from behind the eye into the anterior chamber. The patient had a vitrectomy and the vitreous was replaced with silicone oil. Somehow it came from behind the iris and into the front chamber of the eye right behind the cornea. It is growing new blood vessels and not good for the cornea, since the cornea is avascular.

Anyway, usually the coolest pictures I get to take = not good news for the patient.
3 comments:
Holy crap that's weird. How do you fix that?
Well one of the options was to go back in and remove the silicone oil. Not sure what they would replace it with since that is what is holding the retina in place. I was going to ask the doctor yesterday but didn't get a chance. I may ask him tomorrow when I see him.
omg that makes me want to barf. But it is an awesome picture! And sorry about the broken key, that sucks.
Post a Comment