Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mixed Emotions


Part of my daily routine is reading yahoo news. While probably not the best source for overall news information, the headlines do grab my attention, so that is what gets read. This headline from this morning reads: "Scanners that see through clothing installed in US airport." My first reaction is COOL! No more measuring small liquids to put in your carryon on bags, taking off shoes, etc. Until I read:

"While it allows the security screeners -- looking at the images in a separate room -- to clearly see the passenger's sexual organs as well as other details of their bodies, the passenger's face is blurred, TSA said in a statement on its website."



This statement slightly gives me the willies. I can see all kinds of ways these images can be exploited despite the promise that after the screening is done the picture cannot be saved, printed or exported in anyway. Gratefully, at this time this is a voluntary option and there are only about 10 scanners made installed right now. Have a complete stranger pat you down or have a complete stranger see through your clothing. I think I'll drive.


Original article

2 comments:

Nicholas G. James said...

Hey Becky, check out Abby's Blog at http://abbyskittyblog.blogspot.com

Nicholas G. James said...

wait, it's really http://abbykittyblog.blogspot.com