Wednesday night I attended my 2nd ever hockey game. It was the Charlotte Checkers, which my work does all the eye care for, against the Wheeling Nailers. The game was exciting and I had excellent seats so I could actually follow the game this time. My first hockey game was watching the Utah Grizzlies. They play in the E-Center in West Valley and the tickets we had were up in the nose bleed section and it was really hard to follow the puck or even have a clue as to what was going on. The only thing I remember was 2 of the players threw their helmets and gloves off and fought. That was the most exciting part of the game.The Charlotte Checkers game is played in the Bobcats Arena in downtown Charlotte. We had row 7 seats on a goal side. Mostly it was funny watching people flinch as the hockey players hit each other into the plastic partition. The best part was the crowd. There were cow bells, bike horns, and really loud rednecks. The loudest, of course, sitting right behind us. I pretty much giggled the whole time as the comments were pouring out of the rednecks behind us, especially when the 10 year old kid, with a cleft palate, kept yelling, "You suck ref!" The crowd really only got excited when goals were scored and when there was an almost fight. 2 of the players tore their helmets and gloves off and attempted to have a go at each other, but the refs got inbetween them and stopped all the fun. I've never heard so much booing and such dissapointment over a fight being broken up. The Checkers won 4 to 3.
I had to look up what in the world a Wheeling Nailer was, and according to Wikipedia, "The name "Nailers" was chosen for the city's long history of nail manufacturing."
4 comments:
Haha. The thing you remember most is the fight?
The fights are the best part!! I am always disappointed when I go to a peaceful hockey match, don't they know the fans are just there to see punches thrown??
yeah haha
The Wheeling Nailers sounds like an excellent band name...
Post a Comment