Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kitty or not?

I admit to being a cat lover. I have had a fair share of cats in my early years. It started when my brother brought home a kitten from the gas station on the day of my sister's wedding. My parents were too busy to notice the new addition to our family but quickly we learned what a spazz the cat was. She could do side flips and she would hide behind bushes waiting for people to walk by to grab their legs. We named her Spazz. Later on I talked my parents into letting me have one of my friends cats kittens and I picked a little black one with a white stripe on it. The stripe resembed the Nike logo, and thinking feminenly, I named her Nika. Shortly thereafter, Nika gave birth to 2 kittens, which one was calico and the other was black. The calico was called Beth, from Better off Dead, and the black one was called Bear. After a couple of months of meowing and letting the cats in and out my Dad was pretty tired of dealing with them and called Animal Control. They came and took all the cats. I was pretty upset with my Dad for a while.

Now that I'm older I am thinking it would be fun again to have a cat in my life. (Yes you can call me old cat lady.) But seeing as how I have moved 5 times in the last 5 years, I haven't really wanted to put a cat through all that moving. Plus who would watch the cat when I went on vacation? The biggest issue for me is the litter box. Growing up we always had outside cats, hence all the kittens, so we never had to deal with litter boxes. Is it really worth all the smell and hassle? I know lots of people who have cats and most of them had them in college. Are cats really ok to move a lot? Or should I wait until I find a place I am going to stay for a while to get a cat? All right people, let me know.

4 comments:

Mandi said...

I have no experience with cats, unless you count the cat Elder Maret bought when we were companions. Even then, he took care of the thing.

Far as I know, cats are pretty adaptable. I doubt they have problems with moving.

Nicholas G. James said...

my cat is freaking retarted. sorry for the language.

Mandi said...

And, in case you can't tell, that first comment was really Brandon posting under a pseudonym.

Jenni said...

I would wait until you are more settled. While most cats seem to be easy going, you could always get a cat like mine that does not like change!

And a litter box isn't that bad! It is better than making your neighbors hate you because you cat poops in their flowers. And according to my vet, it is better for your kitty not to go outside, because outside is dangerous and full of kitty diseases.