Thursday, May 29, 2008

Becky's review of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

First off, the title of the movie is way tooooo long. I keep cutting and pasting it instead of typing it all out. Second off, I love Indiana Jones! Granted I had my doubts with Harrison Ford reaching a ripe old age of 65, but he looked fantastic. Since I tend to judge movies by parts and not overallness, I will try and break down my review into these 4 segments: Actors, Action, Plot, and Ending. My feeling is I try not to let one little part of the movie ruin the whole overall review of the movie.


Actors: Harrison Ford, Shia Lebouf, and Cate Blanchett all gave very credible feeling to their characters. Of course Harrison has played this role 4 times now and is pretty good at it. Shia, one of my new favorite young actors, did a fantastic job of trying to break out of his nerd/geek guy trying to act cool role into a tough guy 50's rebel role. Cate Blanchett is basically amazing in every movie she attempts. Her Russian accent was excellent and you can almost feel the power hungriness roll right off her.


Action: This movie was a non-stop action ride. From fist fights, to sword fighting, to car fighting, waterfalls, snakes, and indigenous creepy little fighters. I was entertained from beginning to end.

Plot: I do not necessarily have to have a great plot to consider a movie amazing. (i.e. Jackie Chans first movies) However, this plot was somewhat decent. The reintroduction of a character from the first Indiana Jones movie was clever. The Russians being bad and wanting weird power felt pretty normal. The Crystal Skull is an interesting artifact to chase after.



Ending: This movie did a poor job of ending. Without trying to give away too many spoilers, I felt the ending was a cop out and what could have been a fantastic movie, knocked it down to a pretty good status.

I do recommend everyone to see this movie. Whether you see it in the theatre or wait for DVD you will be entertained. Really? Isn't that the point of a movie?







7 comments:

Nicholas G. James said...

i saw that! its good!

Brandon said...

How do you think it should have ended?

Becky said...

Filbert-did you like the ending?

Brandon said...

Re: the Beef.

I still think he played the geek trying to be cool. Did you 100% buy the "greaser" image? I couldn't.

Becky said...

I think it's going to be a gradual transformation for Shia to completely get away from the geek/cool role. I see potential that he can do it and not use the goofy all the time. There are only a handful of actors that can pull off the role 100%. But that doesn't I mean I'm only going to watch their movies.

Nicholas G. James said...

Not really. They just got married and before that the alien skeleton thing was really weird.

Nicholas G. James said...

It should have been longer after the alien part and they should have went searching for the Mack guy.